Glitter Earrings Made with Shrink Plastic
I have seen some wonderful handmade earrings and other jewelry that inspired me to make this project.
For this glitter and shrink plastic project you will need:
- Poly Glitter , (craft glitter will melt when the heated up). I chose Poly Iridescent Guardian Glimmer and Poly Iridescent Star Seeker.
- Coloring pens (paints, markers, something that remains wet for a short while to apply the glitter onto)
- Earring findings (I used sterling silver charms and earring wires)
- Small jump loops
- Shrink plastic (I chose black, but you can also use clear, white, ink jet printable, or other colors)
- Two small pliers
- Krylon Glitter Blast Sealer
- A hole punch (a Japanese screw hole punch was used for this blog posting)
Draw or print the image for the background of your earring.
I used a Sharpie marker
and then a metallic paint marker.
While the paint was still drying, I sprinkled and pressed the glitter onto the shape.
The next step was to cut out the image,
leaving enough space to make a hole for the earring loop to attach to.
I made three connected punches so the holes would be big enough after the shrink plastic was shrunk.
I baked the shrink plastic shapes on 300' F until the shapes flattened.
When shrinking the shrink plastic it will curl and roll up, wait until the shapes are flat before removing them from the oven for the full shrunken effect.
After the shrink plastic cooled I applied two layers of Krylon Glitter Blast Sealer to avoid glitter flake off.
Make sure to spray the aerosol can outside or in a well-ventilated area (preferably with an air purifier on) as aerosol cans are very noxious and can cause breathing issues.
Next came the assembly of the earrings.
I took the big loop off of the silver charm by opening up the jump loop with the two small pliers. Then I closed the loop back up, took a loose split ring and looped on the charm, the shrink plastic design,
then added on the earring loop,
and finally cinched the split ring together using the two small pliers.
The earrings look great.
Below are the free form heart textured glitter earrings I made.
Here are a set of butterfly earrings with a purple glittered shrink plastic oval accent.